PA 12 – CF (Polyamide 12 with Carbon Fiber) is a composite material used in Fused Deposition Modeling (FDM) 3D printing that combines the properties of polyamide (PA) 12 with the strength and stiffness of carbon fiber. It is known for its high-performance characteristics, making it suitable for demanding applications in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and engineering.
- High Strength and Stiffness: PA 12 – CF combines the high tensile strength and stiffness of carbon fiber with the toughness of polyamide 12, resulting in parts with exceptional mechanical properties.
- Lightweight: PA 12 – CF is a lightweight material, making it ideal for applications that require lightweight components to reduce overall weight without sacrificing strength.
- Excellent Thermal Stability: PA 12 – CF has a high melting temperature, typically ranging from 240-270°C, allowing for parts that can withstand elevated temperatures during end-use applications.
- Excellent Dimensional Stability: PA 12 – CF has low shrinkage during the cooling process, resulting in parts with high dimensional accuracy and stability.
- Chemical Resistance: PA 12 – CF is resistant to many chemicals, including oils, greases, and solvents, making it suitable for parts that come into contact with chemicals or other harsh environments.
- Good Layer Adhesion: PA 12 – CF has good interlayer adhesion during FDM printing, resulting in parts with good mechanical properties and stability.
- Electrical Conductivity: PA 12 – CF with carbon fiber reinforcement exhibits electrical conductivity, making it suitable for applications that require electrical conductivity properties, such as electrostatic dissipation (ESD) protection.
- Excellent Fatigue Resistance: PA 12 – CF has good fatigue resistance, making it suitable for applications that require repetitive loading and cyclic stress.
- Reduced Warping and Improved Printability: The addition of carbon fiber to PA 12 can help reduce warping and improve printability compared to pure PA 12, resulting in less part distortion and better print success rate.
- Post-Processing Capabilities: PA 12 – CF can be easily machined, drilled, and tapped after printing, allowing for post-processing and modification of the printed parts.
- Enhanced Aesthetics: PA 12 – CF exhibits a matte black appearance due to the carbon fiber reinforcement, resulting in visually appealing parts.
- Moderate Printability: PA 12 – CF may require proper printer setup, temperature control, and print settings due to the presence of carbon fiber. Optimized printing parameters and techniques may be needed for successful printing.